Galva High School and Stark County High School
Integrated Science CurriculumYear 1 Theme - Mother Earth
II. Plant/Prairie Unit (Botany)
A. Observation in nature
B. Plant structure
- Activity: "Did you see that?"
- Activity: "Reading the prairie landscape"
- KWL: Plant structure
- Activity: "Let's talk about plants"
- Activity: "Recognizing vascular & nonvascular plants"
- Demo: Cohesion, adhesion, and capillary action (handout)
- Demo: Annual rings (handout)
- Demo: Transpiration
- Lab: "What is the effect of light intensity on transpiration?" (GB, p. 167)
E. Classification in nature
- Lecture: Conceptual photosynthesis
- Investigation 5: "From sunlight to substance" (SL, p. 1.26)
- Investigation/Demo: "Light & oxygen production" (SI, pp. 252-253)
- Lab 13: "Analyzing plant pigments with chromatography" (SI Lab, Ch. 8)
F. Performance assessment: Plant portfolio
- Investigation: "Using and formulating a dichotomous key" (MB-HRW, pp. 354-355)
- Activity: "Using a dichotomous key" (handout)
- Activity: "Classification of prairie plants" (handout)