Programs and Resources
A variety of professional development workshops, programs and educational resources are available. For contact information, see the links below.
Beauty and Charm:
an Educator's View
Beauty and Charm:
an Educator's View
- "Fermi's docents continue to impress me with their knowledge, their patience, and their outstanding ability to work so well with a difficult age group! I've taken groups to other prairie trips in the area, but this one is always far superior!"
- The docents"were great once again. The kids walked out with their minds on fire and a few are interested in studying accelerator physics now. Amazing. Please pass on to your docents and your scientist how much we appreciated the quality of their presentations and efforts."
- High School Guided Tours - Student Video
- Beauty and Charm - grades 6-9 physical science
- Insects at Work in Our World - grades 1-2 insect explorations
- Particles and Prairies - grades 6-8 prairie ecology
- The Prairie - Our Heartland - grades 3-5 prairie ecology
- Phriendly Physics - grades K-5 physical sciene
- Scout Programs
- Study CMS Data from the Large Hadron Collider with an e-Lab.
- Calculate the Mass of the Top Quark.
- Search for Higgs.
- Study Cosmic Rays with an e-Lab.
- Study CMS data with an e-Lab and view a 3-D CMS Event Display.
- Answer Prairie Research Questions using SIMply Prairie and Student Data.
- Use Skyserver to study data from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS).
- How to Build a Cloud Chamber
- Superconductivity Activities: Effect of Temperature on Electrical Resistance - Teacher Notes, Lab (pdf)
How Do We Levitate a Train - Notes (pdf), Data (excel)
- Rolling with Rutherford
- TMP Resource Book (includes Top Quark Activity) - Overhead and data graphics for Top Quark Activity (pdf)
- Catching the Sun
- QuarkNet Resources:
Penny Activity (pdf)
Making it Around the Bend (pdf)
Quark Workbench (pdf)
Top Quark Activity (pdf)
Plotting LHC Discovery (pdf)
Calculate the Z mass (pdf)
Other Classroom Activities
- Fermilab's Tevatron (1983-2011) with an Interactive Timeline and Fermilab's Plan for the Future and Plans for the Accelerator Complex.
- Fermilab: Discovering New Physics - Resources for teachers and students to learn about Fermilab research.
- Frontiers for Discovery
- Neutrinos Matter
- Fermilab's accelerators
- Explain it in 60 Seconds - Symmetry Magazine
- Searching for the Building Blocks of Matter
- Top Quark Discovery, Fermilab's Inquiring Minds Topics, and Research at Fermilab
- Pulse - accelerator science in medicine
- Interactive timeline
- Resources from the Search for Higgs Unit
- Physics Folklore
- QuarkNet Online Bibliography
- Leo's Log Book
- Particle Physics, Astrophysics & Cosmology Talks at AAPT & AAAS 2009
- Answer prairie research questions using student plant population data
- Databases: Birds - Butterflies - Frogs - Insects - Plants
- Smallville online environmental impact study: grades 4-5 - 6-8 - 9-10
- Video and slides from the Particles and Prairies videodisc
- Prairie flora and fauna
- Create a prairie
- Prairie panoramas and close-ups - photos
- Accelerators and Beams - APS publication (pdf)
- Science Friday "Pick of the Week" Video
- Engaging Students in Science
- High-Energy Physics Made Painless
- Fermilab articles for teachers
- QUARKSUNBOUNDthe new Physics
- The Story of Fermilab Research
- Quantum Universe Publications
- "Top Quark Secrets" (PDF)
- Leon M. Lederman's Story
Visiting teachers said of their field trip experiences:
- Online Video
- Online Activities
- Downloadable Activities
- Online Information