- Clear mind
- Good connection
- Supportive team
- Working knowledge of communication tools
- To identify the indicators of good project design
- To view a model project
The purpose of this course is to prepare you to create an engaged learning project demonstrating the best use of technology, specifically the Internet. This project has three main components: the scenario, presentation page, and student project pages. Each component gives a unique perspective of the project.
Before we analyze each component in detail, we need to look at the big picture. Although there are many projects on the Web, not all of them are examples of engaged learning or effective use of technology. But, how do you determine which is a good example and which is not? This course will show you how.
To begin the lesson we are going to ask you to analyze a project. You may assume the role of a teacher or a student as you investigate the project, I Want to be an American Citizen, and envision this project as it progresses. Ask yourself the following questions as you read through the project:
What is the teacher doing?
What is the teacher's role?
How has the teacher structured the learning?
Describe the authentic problem or issue presented. How will you assess the student's product?
How does the teacher facilitate learning?
What are the students doing?
What is the student's role?
How does the student's role differ from the traditional classroom?
Who directs the learning in this project?
What modifications would you make to implement this project in your classroom?
How does technology support the learning?
Is the technology a critical component of this project?
- Could the project be done as effectively without the use of the Internet?
- What is the type of Internet communication the students are using during this project?
- Are they sharing information with other classes or experts?
- Is the communication one-way or two-way? (Are they giving as well as sharing information?)
- Is collaboration taking place?
- Is there an opportunity to publish student work?
- Are students taking advantage of recent or frequently updated information on the Internet?
After you have read and reflected about the learning taking place in this project, please write your response to the following questions:
EL1. What was effective about the project, I Want to be an American Citizen, and why?
EL2. Are there any aspects of this project that you find puzzling?
EL3. How does technology help to engage the learner?
Look on the assignment page to find the due date of this assignment.
What to send: Your response to the three questions.
Where to send: Post your responses as indicated by your facilitator or as indicated on your assignment sheet.
Homework: After the due date for the responses, revisit the location of the responses and read everyone's comments that are logged. Post your reactions to what you have read.