|NTEP Home||Project Homepage||Teacher Homepage||Student Homepage|
Where SIMply Prairie Fits in the Curriculum:
SIMply Prairie is a two-week interdisciplinary project for grades 5-8 and includes science, language arts, math and social studies. This project is best conducted in the fall when the prairie plants are more easily identified. It might also be conducted in May. Access to a prairie habitat and Internet access are required.
A description of how the authors taught the project.
A tutorial for teachers new to problem-based learning.
Alignment with National Science Education Standards: This project demonstrates some elements of the following:
1. Basic operations an concepts
2. Social, ethical, and human issues
- Students demonstrate a sound understanding of the nature and operation of technology systems.
- Students are proficient in the use of technology.
3. Technology productivity tools
- Students practice responsible use of technology systems, information, and software.
- Students develop positive attitudes toward technology uses that support lifelong learning, collaboration, personal pursuits, and productivity.
4. Technology communication tools
- Students use technology tools to enhance learning, increase productivity, and promote creativity.
- Students use productivity tools to collaborate in constructing technology-enhanced models, prepare publications, and produce other creative works.
5. Technology research tools
- Students use telecommunications to collaborate, publish, and interact with peers, experts, and other audiences.
- Students use a variety of media and formats to communicate information and ideas effectively to multiple audiences.
6. Technology problem-solving and decisioin-making tools
- Students use technology to locate, evaluate, and collect information from a variety of sources
- Students use technology tools to process data and report results
- Students evaluate and select new information resources and technological innovations based on the appropriateness for specific tasks.
- Students use technology resources for solving problems and making informed decisions.
- Students employ technology in the development of strategies for solving problems in the real world.