National Teacher Enhancement Project
Middle School Home Energy Audit
PRE-TEST ANSWER KEY
NTEP Home - Project Homepage - Teacher
Homepage - Student Pages
1. The energy in fossil fuels such as coal is stored as .
. . .
a. chemical energy
b. electrical energy
c. thermal energy
d. nuclear energy
6. Compared to incandescent light bulbs, fluorescent bulbs
. . . .
a. use more energy
b. use less energy
c. use the same amount of energy
d. make people want more power
2. What energy source provides the nation with the most energy?
b. natural gas
7. Which sector of the economy consumes the most energy?
3. Which residential task uses the most energy?
b. heating water
c. heating and cooling rooms
8. Electricity usage is measured in . . . .
4. Most energy conversions produce . . . .
9. A kilowatt is equal to . . . .
a. 10 watts
b. 50 watts
c. 75 watts
d. 1000 watts
5. The major use of coal in the United States is to . . .
a. fuel trains
b. heat homes and buildings
c. make chemicals
d. generate electricity
10. The average cost of a kilowatt-hour of electricity in
our region . . . .
a. 1-10 cents
b. 10-25 cents
c. 25-99 cents
Created for the Fermilab
LInC program sponsored by Fermi
National Accelerator Laboratory Education
Office and Friends
of Fermilab, and funded by United
States Department of Energy, Illinois
State Board of Education, North
Central Regional Technology in Education Consortium which
is operated by North Central Regional
Educational Laboratory (NCREL), and the National
Authors: Sue Emmons,
Powell Middle School, Littleton, CO; Kevin
Lindauer, John F. Kennedy High School, Denver, CO; Linda
Lung, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO; Janet Stellema, Monarch
K-8, Louisville, CO; John
Sepich, Scott Carpenter Middle School, Westminster, CO; Edited
by Marge Bardeen NTEP II Project PI.
Created: September 9, 1998 revised September 27, 2001