Select the best answer.
1. The energy in fossil fuels such as coal is stored as.....
a. chemical energy
b. electrical energy
c. thermal energy
d. nuclear energy
2. What energy source provides the nation with the most energy?
b. natural gas
3. Which residential task uses the most energy?
b. heating water
c. heating and cooling rooms
4. Most energy conversions produce.....
5. The major use of coal in the United States is to....
a. fuel trains
b. heat homes and buildings
c. make chemicals
d. generate electricity
6. Compared to incandescent light bulbs, fluorescent bulbs...
a. use more energy
b. use less energy
c. use the same amount of energy
d. make people use more light
7. Which sector of the economy consumes the most energy?
8. Electricity usage is measured in......
9. A kilowatt is equal to......
b. 50 watts
c. 75 watts
d. 1000 watts
10. The average cost of a kilowatt-hour of electricity in our region......*
a. 1-10 cents
b. 10-25 cents
c. 25-99 cents
* See Teacher Homepages.
Students: Click on the button at the left to connect to the printable Pretest.
Authors: Sue Emmons, Powell Middle School, Littleton, CO; Kevin Lindauer, John F. Kennedy High School, Denver, CO; Linda Lung, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO; John Sepich, Scott Carpenter Middle School, Westminster, CO; ; Janet Stellema, Monarch K-8, Louisville, CO. Created: September 9, 1998 - Updated: October 3, 2001. URL: http://www-ed.fnal.gov/ntep/f98/projects/nrel_energy/sudentpretest.html