National Teacher Enhancement Project
Middle School Home Energy
Pre-Assessment Answer Key
Created for the Fermilab
LInC program sponsored by Fermi
National Accelerator Laboratory Education
Office and Friends
of Fermilab, and funded by United
States Department of Energy, Illinois
State Board of Education, North
Central Regional Technology in Education Consortium which
is operated by North Central Regional
Educational Laboratory (NCREL), and the National
1. The energy in fossil fuels such as coal
is stored as . . . .
a. chemical energy
b. electrical energy
c. thermal energy
d. nuclear energy
6. Compared to incandescent light bulbs, fluorescent
bulbs . . . .
a. use more energy
b. use less energy
c. use the same amount of energy
d. make people want more power
2. What energy source provides the nation
with the most energy?
b. natural gas
7. Which sector of the economy consumes the
3. Which residential task uses the most energy?
b. heating water
c. heating and cooling rooms
8. Electricity usage is measured in . . . .
energy conversions produce . . . .
9. A kilowatt is equal to . . . .
a. 10 watts
b. 50 watts
c. 75 watts
d. 1000 watts
5. The major use of coal in the United States
is to . . . .
a. fuel trains
b. heat homes and buildings
c. make chemicals
d. generate electricity
10. The average cost of a kilowatt-hour of
electricity in our region . . . .
a. 1-10 cents
b. 10-25 cents
c. 25-99 cents
Authors: Sue Emmons, Powell Midddle School, Littleton, CO; Kevin Lindauer, Baker Middle School, Denver, CO; Janet Stellema, Monarch K-8, Louisville, CO; John Sepich, Scott Carpenter Middle School, Westminster, CO; Edited by Marge Bardeen NTEP II Project PI.
Created: September 9, 1998 revised July 30, 2001