Neutrinos From the Sun - The Davis Experiment: Research for which Ray Davis was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics 2002
The New Explorers
Catching the Sun Sampler
The Catching the Sun Teachers Guide, developed by a group of master teachers, is a resource for high school physics teachers using The New Explorers videotape Catching the Sun
about this experiment. The teacher is free to use as much or as little as he or she feels is necessary to supplement the videotape. Some of the materials is designed to make connections to other content and concepts in science. This unit provides background for a field trip to Fermilab and serves as an introduction for additional investigation into the realm of particle or nuclear physics.
- The BACKGROUND section gives a brief review of the subject as well as some suggestions on how these materials can be used with the videotape.
- The DEMONSTRATION section includes classroom demonstrations the teacher can perform to illustrate concepts from the videotape.
- The ACTIVITIES section includes activities, laboratories and problem sets for the student with accompanying instructions and explanations for the teacher. Check out four or the activities from the Table of Contents.
- A FIELD TRIP section describes the two tours available at Fermilab and suggestions for other Catching the Sunrelated field trips.
- The CAREERS section gives information on careers related to physics.
- The GLOSSARY contains a complete set of terms and definitions from the videotape.
- The BIBLIOGRAPHY has a number of excellent references for the students and teacher. These selections can be read before, during or after the videotape has been viewed.
Catching the Sun was developed by Fermilab for The Chicago Science Explorers Program
Program Director: Samuel P. Bowen, Argonne National Laboratory
Partner Project Director: Kristin F. Ciesemier, Fermilab
Videotape Support Group:
Larry Alofs, Kenwood Academy, Chicago Public Schools
Robert D. Grimm, Fremd High School, Township High School District 214
Peter W. Imsley, Whitney Young High School, Chicago Public Schools
Patrick LaMaster, Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy
Leslie Nyckel, Glenbard East High School, Glenbard Township High School District 87
Special thanks to Fermilab scientists Drasko Jovanovic and Stephen Parke