The Education Office FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
What are the hours of the Lederman Science Center?
The center is open Monday to Friday 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM and Saturday 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
What activities do you offer for children? For families?
Programs for children of all ages include:
- Science Adventures offered throughout the year
To register print and fill out this form.
Fax to 630-840-2500 or mail to Science Adventures, Fermilab MS 777, Box 500, Batavia, IL 60510. We accept registrations up to the day of the class. However, a class that does not have the minimum number of registrants will be canceled one week prior to the scheduled date.
- Get to Know Fermilab Guided Tours every Wednesday, 10:30 AM to 12:00 PM.
- Ask-a-Scientist offered the first Sunday of each month, 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM.
- Fermilab Prairie Quadrat Study offered twice a month during the summer
- Once-a-year special events.
- Check the calendar for more information:
Do you offer programs for Scouts?
Our Scout Program offers two-hour badge sessions for Boy Scouts, Webelos and Junior Girl Scouts at the Lederman Science Center on Saturdays, days off school or after school. Contact Sue Sheehan at 630-840-5058.
What volunteer opportunities are available for members of the technical staff?
Check out our list of volunteer opportunities.
As a Fermilab employee, how can I arrange for a scientist to visit my child's school?
Contact Andrea Cox at 630-840-8259.
I want to visit my child's classroom; what resources are available to me?
The Teacher Resource Center has a variety of demos and activities you may borrow. Contact Susan Dahl at x3094.
What resources are available in the Teacher Resource Center?
- Instructional resources that a teacher can preview.
- Good scientific books and activities for children.
- Fermilab materials available for teachers.
What internships or job shadowing possibilities are available for high school students?
There are two internship programs:
- Target: Science and Engineering. Contact Sandra Charles at 630-840-4574.
- QuarkNet Summer Research. Contact Tanja Waltrip at 630-840-3929.
We have limited opportunities for job shadowing. Contact Tanja Waltrip at 630-840-5588.
Can I use a project/task code to purchase items from the gift shop for a Fermilab event?
Yes. Contact Andrea Cox at x8259.
Do you charge sales tax for gift shop purchases?Yes, if they're personal purchases. If they're purchased for a Fermilab event/with Fermilab money, it is tax exempt.
I need a Fermilab logo item not sold at the store for a special event. Who can I contact? What do I do?
Contact Andrea Cox, the store manager, at x8259 for information.