Fermilab is committed to developing the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) workforce and stimulating science literacy. Laboratory programs serve students at all levels from prekindergarten to graduate school.
Fermilab's Education Office supports programming for educators, families, young people and the general public. Our programs provide avenues for technical staff to engage these audiences with Fermilab's science and technology. Themes include scientific discovery, practical applications, and scientific and engineering practices. Because the next generation STEM workforce is in school today, educator programs must strengthen teaching and learning in science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Our programs are a catalyst for change and a resource to schools and districts nationwide.
The Fermilab Education Office provides programming based on:
- Audience interests and needs.
- Laboratory resources: staff, facilities, experimental data and areas of expertise.
- National, state and local initiatives and standards.
- Educational research and best practice.
- Cutting-edge ideas in science, education and teacher development.
- Promote a life-long interest in science.
- Raise science literacy.
- Encourage young people to consider careers in science.